Friday 9 October 2015

Monday 28th September 2015

Today was yet another interesting day.

We finally managed to get the UN forces and Embassy forces to pay attention to us. Isabelle in Paris did a fantastic job backing me up to get my case on the priority lists for international internal evacuation.

At the same time, the Cordaid team here managed to get a UN Burundi blue helmets pick up to come get us at the CAM and take us to the Ledger Hotel.

And so we all packed our things to get ready, and waited.

At the same time I got confirmation that the French army would send me a pick up to evacuate during the day.

When the UN pick up came, Philippe suggested to jump on the opportunity and not wait for the other pick up. And so I listened to him.

Philippe, as brave as he is, decided to not go just yet as the nuns of the CAM were not feeling so good and safe. And since thus far not a single authority has even inquired about them, having Philippe in the center with them helped make them feel better.

Arnold and I loaded our own pick car in which we were to follow the UN pick up, as a 2 vehicle convoy.

Before starting the car, Arnold made quite a moving prayer for us. And for once, I said Amen.

The streets were empty of vehicles. Only pedestrians, and big UN white armored vehicles. I so wished I had a go-pro camera with me to film the whole thing. Thankfully, the Ledger hotel was only a few minutes drive away.

In all honesty, I was not worried at all. On the opposite, I found the moment so exciting. And so after our first night under the bullets, I got yet another adrenaline boost.

When we got to the hotel, we made sure to shake the hand of every soldier that was on our convoy.

Ok, now, the hotel Ledger, please, after reading this post, and every single time you have the opportunity, tear down the reputation of this chain of hotel.

This hotel's business is 100% foreign expats. It is clear that the whole city is now in a situation of a coup d'etat attempt. In other words, humanitarian crisis. Yet, the hotel will only accept clients if they pay their room cash in advance, and announces that it is forbidden to sleep on the floor or in the sofas. (all NGO offices, including their safes, have been pillaged, so obviously money liquidity is a very big issue at the moment, especially since the only ATM machine in the hotel is out of order).

So checking in took us 5 hours.

The rest of the day went quite well. Meeting lots of new people, and being at the center of the NGO and IGO population, all in the same boat, and all speculating about intel and events to come.

Personally, I found the situation fascinating.

Myself and another Cordaid guy, Fred, befriended two employees from the UN, MINUSCA forces.

After diner, we went for a drink at the bar to further discuss. Philippe called me telling me that their office was being pillaged a second time and that they were about to take the two safes from the office. (loaded with cash inside).

And so with my friends Danielle and Sophie from MINUSCA, we did all we could, to send over a patrol, and at the same time, arrange for evacuation of Philippe and the nuns. We got confirmation that all this would happen.

The night went on. I went up to try and get some sleep. Unfortunately; my roommate Arnold, snores way to much and to loudly, to the point that it was louder than the explosions outside. So I took blanket and pillow to go sleep in the hallway. Strangely, being able to hear the explosions and bullets calmed me down, as I was able to follow the evolution of the conflict.

The night was VERY tensed. Though inside the hotel all was very quite. People were probably all sleeping peacefully because the noise of the AC in their room covered the noises from outside. But I personally clearly heared a few attempts of rebels trying to take over the hotel and being pushed back by armed forces.

Every hour I was checking on Philippe. He had told me that they feared rebels would come down from the hill jungle and use the CAM as a hide out. So they turned off all the lights and hid in their rooms...and made sure the phones would not ring.

For several hours I did not get any answer from him...





No comments:

Post a Comment