Saturday 26 September 2015

Saturday 26th September 2015


Here is an article of what today’s general focus was on.

Today is Saturday, so instead of meditating at 6:30am, I allowed myself an extra half hour of sleep. Yay! (keep in mind that every single day of the week, the first mass being celebrated in the cathedral literally behind our rooms is at 5AM and celebrations and VERY loud singing last until about 7AM.)
My meditation was yet again quite plain and flat. Yet, about half an hour into it, and as the cathedral singing extend later than usual; I started hearing series of gun shots for a good 20 minutes. As it was mixed with the cathedral singing, I was not sure whether it was some sound effect part of the singing rehearsal, so I did not pay much attention to it.

When I emerge from my meditation, my shower, and my laundry, everyone is gone to the office. No way I am going to the office today nor to work, as anyway, I need some reports from the staff and to review those reports with them in order to elaborate a plan of action for our upcoming site missions.
So I chill outside until Leann, the country head of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) comes to pick me up for my first security brief in the country. Our first step is to go to the super market. She had to do some groceries, so I offered to tag along in order to check out the local supermarket, and most importantly to check out the food cost of living. ATROCIOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!!!!

One sure thing is that while I am here, I will not be eating any junk food, or any elaborate dishes, nor any super-duper healthy diets. Bummer! The weeks I spent in Rabat got me used to such delicious and healthy eating habits! Moncef and Caro, I told you that you were totally spoiling me!

And so while I am wandering the aisles with Leann,  the Archbishop himself (who apparently is a major “political” figure not only here but internationally, calls me on my cell, and asks me why am I not in his office as we speak. Sister Flora is there and I a, supposed to be there as well. HA! Inside I am sooooooooooo mad at Sister Flora. I had told her yesterday morning before she left the office like a thief, that I was to have this security brief this morning, all morning. And so that’s what I repeat to the Archbishop. He sounded a bit disappointed and slightly upset, but I stood my grounds. So we are supposed to meet on Monday morning. Yet still no news from Sister Flora. Seriously, what is this doing? She is being paid close to 1000 euros monthly when the average monthly salary in the country is about 40…and what for?!  I must say, thus far, this is not reconciling me with the institution of the church at all. I am so curious to see if and when the Archbishop will ask me what faith I am. Lol

The security brief went quite well. The US arm of Caritas has so much money. The gap between our French arm of Caritas and their US arm feels like the gap between a homeless and a President.
Curfew set at 9PM every single day. Green zone defined. And rule for today: forbidden for me to go out.

Right after lunch, and after chatting with everyone about all the speculations of what was happening in the city, as I laid down to take a power nap (am still not used to such humid heat), Christophe, the big brother of Cyrille, whom I had met in Marrakech, and who is from Bangui, called me up as he was right in front of the cathedral. And so I spent a couple of hours with him. Turns out his uncle who used to be the prime minister a few years back is now running for the presidential elections. His sisters who just gave birth works for the prime minister. But strangely, as opposed to how rich, comfortable, and slightly superior looking, such kind of person would probably appear in other African countries, Christophe was very modest looking and humble…He taught me a lot about the country geopolitical situation as well as economic and environmental strengths of the country. It was a very interesting couple of hours. I really hope I get to meet his sister at some point as she apparently is highly involved with micro credits.

I spent the rest of the day catching up on emails. Long over due!
When Philippe came back, we had a very long and super interesting chat about the geopolitical situation in the country, its origins, as well as his previous work in Chad, DRC, and Rwanda. Wow!

It was just us chatting on the front porch of our rooms, facing the jungle up the hill across from us…when all of a sudden we started hearing scattered gun shots here and there in the jungle. The sun was almost asleep, the moon already smiling all her teeth, and the sky as quite as can be aside from the shots echoing away. We stayed quiet for a bit…wondering how close they would get, and if the anti balaka rebels would try and make their way to the city center, and by what time tonight, now that the outdoor light was more favorable from them to come out.

It is almost 9pm and helicopters are still making their rounds.

I am tired…off to bed I go.

Laila Saida. I miss you all. May you all be happy, in peace and harmony. And may the people of Central African Republic sleep in peace tonight.


Salam, and a very belated Eid Mubarak to all my Muslim friends and to all the GOOD Muslims out there.  And may this Eid be a way for the bad seeds to start turning into good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment